Subject: Re: Bose Speaker System for Ipod

Re: Bose Speaker System for Ipod

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: 2006-04-03

I can join the Bose-bashing.

That wave radio advertizing made me curious, was seriously considering it.
When I actually was able to try one in person, I was pretty disappointed.
Perhaps this is the reason they do more or less mail order only for this
product in germany. I got a real stereo system for the kitchen instead
(Yamaha Pianocraft), for less money.

My car has an option to upgrade it with a Bose system, for $1000 or such.
I'm more than glad I've instead spend the money on real speakers and fine
amps. My local trustworthy car hifi dealer had no more than a quick frown
for Bose, they don't consider their gear.

Another experience have been home cinema systems. Bose goes for a "distinct"
sound to set themselves off the crowd, but which has nothing to do with
natural, fidelity reproduction. First you're impressed by the effect, but
you can't stand it in the long run.

Their recipy seems to be to use cheap material, but spice it up with some
tricks to sound different than other cheap crap. Add big marketing to that,
and a price tag which suggests this is real gear.

Another non-Hifi brand is Bang+Olufsen. They seem to do similar, but with
design and integrated solutions.

(all just personal opinion)

Jörg

--