Subject: ian and his v1.04US h300

ian and his v1.04US h300

From: Manuel Dejonghe <manuel_at_dejonghe.de>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 21:11:58 +0200

On 4/3/06, ian douglas <id_at_w98.us> wrote:
> Sorry for constantly replying to my own posts ... I figure I'll just
> keep talking to myself until someone wants to jump into the conversation
> (my therapist charges me a group rate).

Well, posting in the right (or new) thread helps. Therefore I changed
the subject.

> I descrambled the 1.04 firmware that I downloaded directly from iRiver
> (I also added the link on the appropriate pages), ran mkboot from the
> latest cvs source, and scrambled it and got positive remarks from all 3
> steps, unplugged my player, did a firmware upgrade, it powered itself
> off and ...
> ... and now it won't turn back on.
>
> If I plug in the power cable, it'll eventually boot to the iRiver
> firmware and give me a message about "Can't found DRM KEY" which
> troubles me - I have a US player using the US firmware, so why have I
> lost my DRM key? I've never used international firmware on my player.
>
> Holding the On/Play button for a few seconds doesn't do anything when
> the player is unplugged, but as I said, plugging in the power cable
> starts up the original firmware (which is still says is "VER 1.04 US".
>
> Anyhow, I can still get to the disk once the unit is powered on and I
> plug in the USB cable, but doesn't look like the unit wants to start up
> with the Rockbox firmware.

In fact, I could not find a warning about this on IriverBoot, but if I
remember correctly, reflashing ANY US-firmware voids the drm-stuff.
you may try to reprogramm it with the original file, but from what I
know your DRM-key is gone for good.
It may be as well that the programming cannot be done with ANY
US-Version because of that. That would explain why none of the
US-Versions is listed on the page.
Does it block on this error message about the drm-key or can you go
ahead into the iriver-software ?
Now, if after all I am wrong, let's check why rockbox is not loaded.
Did you install the rockbox-files (the zip-archive) onto the hard disk
of the iriver ?

~lImbus