Subject: Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, we have frozen!

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, we have frozen!

From: Andrew Hart <ahart_at_dim.uchile.cl>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 19:44:29 -0400

Hi folks,

This is just a quick note. I need to investigate further, but the
problem is kind of difficult to manage without sight.

I compiled Rockbox from CVS:

cvs update -DP
cd build
../tools/configure
[I chose a normal build with target as IRiver 320/340]
make
make zip

All went fine.

I then grabbed the english.lang file to pump it through
makevoices.vbs, but it gives me an error--"not able to open file."
Looking in the .lang file, it looks like it contains HTML-style tag
info which I don't recall seeing before, however that could just be my memory.
Ok, so I go with an older .voice file that was generated by a friend
in February.

In any case, I unpack rockbox.zip onto the Iriver and make sure the
english.voice file is where it is supposed to be.
However, when I start Rockbox, I have no menusspeaking. In addition,
the file browser speaks very unreliably. It sometimes speaks and
sometimes doesn't play the talk files. Sometimes I have to wait
around 4 seconds before I hear anything.

IN short, it looks like the voice UI has been seriously broken.

So, perhaps other blind folks on the list want to leave new versions
of Rockbox alone for a couple of days to see if some improvement can be made.

Cheers,
Andrew.