Subject: Re: Rockbox voice files

Re: Rockbox voice files

From: James Teh <jamie_at_jantrid.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 10:51:24 +1000

Hi Scott,

I'm cc'ing this to the rockbox users list, as others may find it useful. Hope you don't mind.

I actually have little knowledge of the Rockbox code, but have dabbled
at understanding bits of it. Nevertheless, I have done quite a bit of
investigation on the recent "broken voice UI" issue.

Like many others, I have noticed that current voice files broke in early
april (2006-04-02 build, to be precise). This is due to major changes to
the language files. To further compound the issue, the language source
files (i.e. not the binary language files) have completely changed
format as of 2006-04-03. The new format is known as langv2 and none of
the current voice file building scripts have yet been updated for the
new format. (This is the reason for the html-like tags described by
Andrew Hart.)

The tools/genlang script in the Rockbox source provides an option (-o) for
output of the voice language strings in a format similar to that of
langv1. This is the best hope for the voice building scripts like
makevoices.vbs, though I think they may still need some changes in order
to work. I will investigate this at some point in the near future if no
one else beats me to it, though I don't have any SAPI voices apart from
Microsoft Sam to work with.

If you have no voice for now, you can roll back to 2006-04-01 or
2006-03-31 daily build and use the Viavoice voice file provided by
someone on this list a few months ago. I'm not sure of the URL, so
you'll have to search the mailing list archives.

Jamie

--
James Teh
Email: jamie_at_jantrid.net