Subject: Re: battery-safe bootloader

Re: battery-safe bootloader

From: Jouke Witteveen <j.witteveen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 08:53:40 +0200

On 4/10/06, Miika Pekkarinen <miipekk_at_ihme.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 10 Apr 2006, Jvo Studer wrote:
> > The only thing this patch adds is a battery voltage check (3.3V) during
> > booting and if it is too low it refuses to start. It then just switches
> > off without even spinning up the harddisk. This prevents possible deep
> > discharge of the lithium polymer battery. Normally the iriver hardware
> > cuts off power if voltage gets below 2.6V or so but it's even better
> > not to let this happen.
>
> Generally that sounds like a good idea, but there must be a way to
> override this check. For example a failure in the battery voltage monitor
> sensor could prevent booting entirely (i have heard that at least one unit
> had such a defect).

That sounds like a real issue to me. Is someone willing to
investigate/develop/test a fully functional version of this patch in
question? I would like to help but my skills on this matter are realy
limitted. IIRC the current bootloader already runs a test on certain
key-combinations. It wouldn't be hard to add one to overrule the
battery checks to at least be able to enter USB mode (when in real
trouble this would allow you to flash your iriver). Isn't it so that
the current Rockbox firmware does checks on the battery too, and turns
the device off when the _reported_ battery level is too low? It would
be nice if the fix for this is not just "boot into the original
firmware and flash your device back to the iRiver firmware"...

Regards,
Jouke