Subject: Re: voice UI while audio stopped in latest builds

Re: voice UI while audio stopped in latest builds

From: Andrew Hart <ahart_at_dim.uchile.cl>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 09:51:42 -0400

Hi there. I can confirm what Jamie has found. He beat me to
reporting it though as I didn't have a Net connection available on
the week-end.

In fact, this is probably to be expected while bug-fixing is going
on, etc., but I thought I'd let everyone know just in case they're
not already aware of it.
Since the code freeze, the voice support appears to be getting worse
and worse in terms of performance.

At the moment, while playing audio, the menus sometimes speak and
sometimes don't. Also, the fade-out-fade-in sequence that occurs
while the menus speak is not correctly synching with the speech
properly. It used to be the case that you would hear rapid fade-out,
menu item spoken, rapid fade in. Now, I can sometimes here the menu
item while the fade-out is occurring. It seems as though there may
besome kind of timing/queueing problem.

Also, this has been mentioned before, but transitions between voice
clips, as well as audio files being played themselves (such as when
fast-forwarding/rewinding or track skipping) occasionally produce an
audible artifact which sounds like "chihk" or like a really short
burst of white noise. I started noticing this a week or two before
the code freeze.

Cheers,
Andrew.