Subject: Re: battery-safe bootloader

Re: battery-safe bootloader

From: [IDC]Dragon <>
Date: 2006-04-10

> Would someone (with firmware flash access) please test patch 3039
> ( Someone wrote it some
> months ago and I want to use it. It would be nice if someone commented
> wether it breaks functionality or not.
> If it is good (which I expect it to be), I suggest a merge with CVS.

The discussions already went on, but (not having an iriver, though) I fail
to see a problem being solved by this. Why would you want to restrict the
boot capability? Is there any danger in the attempt with low power?

It's kindof important not to *write* to the disk when power is too low.
Rockbox does check this. But why restrict on reading? This adds extra
complexity to the bootloader, additional modes of failure. Worst case e.g. a
bad reading runs bezerk and prevents booting completely, bricking your

GMX Produkte empfehlen und ganz einfach Geld verdienen!
Satte Provisionen fr GMX Partner: