Subject: Re: Adapting MakeVoices.vbs

Re: Adapting MakeVoices.vbs

From: Brian Wolven <bcwolven_at_jhu.edu>
Date: 2006-04-11

ScottLearned wrote:
> Hello,
> I am having difficulties with the MakeVoices.vbs script. I for the life of
> me cannot figure out where to change the values to creat a voice file.
>
> When I get to line 60: The Actual Work, I am not sure where to change the
> values. I tried a number of different possibilities, but keep getting an 81
> compilation error. I saw the examples and tried duplicating their strings on
> line 85.
> I would like to use Crystal16, NeoSpeech Paul or Mike16 as my voice file
> since I have them installed on my PC.
>
> As you can now tell I know just about nothing when it comes to scripting
> except for how to open them! LOL
>
> If someone could please show me where to change and what to change in detail
> so I can get this crazy task figured out, I would be very grateful.
>
> I am currently running the 3/31 build.
>
> Thank you
> Scott

Did you run ListVoices.vbs to see what the correct names are for your
installed voices? If you've done that, then you should be able to insert
that name in a line like the following (already in Jens' original code):

MakeVoiceFile "english", "Crystal16", SPSF_32kHz16BitMono, 140, "-V 4 -B
64 --resample 12 --scale 0.6 --vbr-new -t -S"

If you've got Crystal16 installed, that should work without
modification. You can place a single quote (') in front of those lines
that begin with MakeVoiceFile that use voices that you do NOT wish to
create. The ' is the comment character in VBscript, so those lines will
no longer be executed, which may save you some time and frustration.
Assuming you've got the proper names for your voices listed above, you
ought to be able to trim it down to just three MakeVoicefile lines, like
so (watch for possible line wrapping here, each is a single line):

MakeVoiceFile "english", "Crystal16", SPSF_32kHz16BitMono, 140, "-V 4 -B
64 --resample 12 --scale 0.6 --vbr-new -t -S"
MakeVoiceFile "english", "Mike16", SPSF_32kHz16BitMono, 140, "-V 4 -B 64
--resample 12 --scale 0.6 --vbr-new -t -S"
MakeVoiceFile "english", "NeoSpeech Paul", SPSF_32kHz16BitMono, 140, "-V
4 -B 64 --resample 12 --scale 0.6 --vbr-new -t -S"

The first two are already in the script, assuming you've got the same
version that I do.