Subject: Re: any advice for a probably dead HD in jbrv2?

Re: any advice for a probably dead HD in jbrv2?

From: Mike Bartz <>
Date: 2006-04-11

> BTDT about two weeks ago. If the drive will initialize (it sounds
> like it will) then SpinRite will probably bring it back. SpinRite
> boots its own OS so the drive will have to be attached to the IDE
> controller in your laptop or something equiv.
> It sounds like just a little hunk of the surface got zorched by the
> fall so SpinRite should actually repair the drive. I'd still get a
> new one because the fuse is burning on that dropped drive.
> Drop me a private email if you'd like more info.

Wow, spinrite! I've been using that for years at previous jobs.
Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of it anymore, but that would be
worth doing. Does it still boot from a single floppy? I have an old
PII-366 laptop around, so I could plug it into that. Cool idea!

> If freezing doesn't work, try the heat method. Wrap the drive in a
> towel and let it warm up. Not too hot, though. And try positioning
> it at various angles.
> A couple of weeks ago I had the spindle bearing start grinding coffee
> :-) in my laptop drive. A combination of the towel method and holding
> it at juuuuust the right angle, vertical, canted at about a 20 deg
> angle with a little bit of lean, let me get everything off it.

ok, will try that. the drive definitely didn't like the cold, and I
have to use ac power just to get it to go. probably the batteries had
trouble with being cold too.

> Ya gotta love Toshiba and their 3 year warranty. I went to their
> warranty web site, inputted the serial number and in a second or two I
> had an RMA and even an address label for the box. The replacement
> should be here any day now.

duuh! I forgot about the warranty. I'll have to crack it open and
see if the seagate is still in range. They usually have 3 years or
more on them too.

> John
> ---
> John De Armond
> See my website for my current email address
> Cleveland, Occupied TN
> A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.-Ralph Waldo Emerson

One of these days, I'll pass close enough to your restaurant. Looks
great! I'm up in Dayton, OH. Not too far away.

Mike Bartz