Subject: Re: Robustness Tests

Re: Robustness Tests

From: Manuel Dejonghe <manuel_at_dejonghe.de>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 23:19:42 +0200

On 4/11/06, Simon Eigeldinger <simon.eigeldinger_at_vol.at> wrote:
> I heard that someone put his player into the fridge. Has someone
> tested how robust such hard drive players are? :-)

This was rather an emergency rescue than a habit.
And for the record: The unit did still not work afterwards, so unless
somebody states it otherwise: No, no rockbox survived the fridge yet
:-)

Now for serious: As long as the temperatures are within the ranges in
the data spec sheets, it should even be working inside of the fridge.

Batteries are known to be NOT very effective when cold, however they
can conserve better in the cold. So that may be one reason the unit
does not run in the fridge. The display will for sure have it's
problems as well.

My recV1 survived several nights in my car at about -5 °C. Altough I
noticed once it did not spin up.

So I suppose, as long as you stay in the tech-spec-ranges, even
freezing should be ok.

There is just one thing you REALLY have to pay attention about: When
you get it out of the cold, give it the proper time to defrost,
preferably WITHOUT batteries.
The humidity of the air may condensate inside of the device,
short-circuiting things and so on.

~lImbus