Subject: iPod 4G grayscale report

iPod 4G grayscale report

From: Isaak Tsalicoglou <tisaak_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2006-04-11

Hi,

I installed yesterday's build on my 4G grayscale iPod and everything went
well during as well as after the installation. Rockbox for the ip4g is
pretty solid, and I'm happy to know that there's an alternative way of using
my iPod without ever needing iTunesDB management software, such as iTunes,
Winamp etc.

That's not to say that yesterday's release never crashed on me; it did,
something like 6 times until now, but that's no big deal. I kind of expected
it. Anyway, here's a couple of issues I encountered...

The first really weird thing I noticed after installing Rockbox, funnily
enough has nothing to do directly with Rockbox itself, but with the original
Apple firmware. When I boot into the Apple firmware, the backlight stays on.
Clicking "Backlight" on the main screen doesn't turn it off. I have to go to
settings, and turn the Backlight Timer to "off". Then, by pressing MENU for
approx. 2 s, the backlight turns off. Pressing "Backlight" on the main
screen will turn it on again, but only the MENU key turns it off. Would it
be possible to make the backlight turn off during the booting process?
Leaving it on means that the behavior of original firmware is kind of
"broken" after installing rockbox, when ideally a rockbox user should always
opt for the feature-wise inferior, but more stable original firmware.

The other weird thing is that since installing Rockbox, the backlight on the
Apple firmware doesn't fade in/out the way it previously did; it simply
turns on/off. That's not really a problem in my opinion, and I'm sincerely
curious: what part of the rockbox installation procedure is responsible for
something so irrelevant?

Also, last night I let rockbox play a huge playlist and I don't know when
and how it shut down. When I turned it on in the morning, the battery was
shown as empty in the original firmware and there was a single line of
pixels lit black across the LCD. I rebooted, reconnected, went into the
Apple firmware, then back into rockbox. The line stayed there, even after
reboots. Eventually the black line faded away without causing any damage.
I'd like to know though: is it possible that the LCD will be damaged by
Rockbox?

That's all for now, I will continue following the daily builds as the
queueing functionality and "next track" features are enough to make me stay
with rockbox instead of booting into the simplistic Apple firmware.

Thanks for your efforts!

Isaak

PS: Is it a planned feature to make Rockbox go into normal sleep mode
instead of the deep sleep mode? Kind of like the original firmware does and
is ready to go at the press of a button? Is that even technically possible?