Subject: Re: Auto-pausing

Re: Auto-pausing

From: Neon John <jgd_at_johngsbbq.com>
Date: 2006-04-12

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 20:00:28 -0400, "David Pedersen"
<dav-ped@frisurf.no> wrote:

>Sounds like an idea. Except from the less comfortability of having to hold
>your hand grasping something. Have to find a switch that fit my hand, and
>that does not require a whole lot of pressure, so as to keep it activated.
>But, where do you get the plug that fits into the dc jack. Have looked in
>some electronic stores, but they only provide the ones with a higher
>diameter. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Rat Shack. Type "H". This is part of their gawdawful universal
connector system. By the time you plug the adapter into the wall wart
socket you end up with an assembly 2" long with enough lever arm to
rip the power socket right off the board with the first yank.

The H adapter has two round male pins. I simply cut the female pin
connector off the wall wart and solder the wires to the pins, followed
with a little heat shrink or liquid electrical tape.

There is another source. WallyWorld sells a set of small amplified
speakers for $19. Usually hangs on the shelf with the iPod
accessories. Nice little speakers. They come with a 9volt, 1 amp
wall wart with the same size plug. I almost never use my speakers on
the wall-wart since they also accept AA NiMH batteries so I consider
that wart to be just another JBR power supply. That particular
connector has the groove on the end so it locks in place pretty
securely.

Of course, the easy way is to simply switch the 120 volts going to the
JBR wall wart. If you switch a power strip you can turn off the JBR
and the lights, all at the same time.

As for the switch, all you really need is something that you can rest
your hand on where it'll drop off when your arm goes limp. A common
ordinary microswitch with a lever arm mounted on something beside the
bed will work.

A minor software change that would make this even better would be a
settable timer that triggers when the power goes off that shuts the
JBR off after that time expires. That would let one roll over, switch
hands and such without killing and then rebooting the JBR. Adding a
timer to the car mode would work. Just set the time to "0" to make it
work as desired in a car.

John

---
John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.-Ralph Waldo Emerson