Subject: H340 hanging very weird

H340 hanging very weird

From: Hamish Mackenzie <hamish_at_mackenzieoz.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 05:04:20 +1000

Hi All

This is a very weird problem I am experiencing and I don't really expect
anyone will have a clue what is going on but I thought I would let you guys
know about it just in case. I am running the daily build from 22 March on
my H340 and from the day I installed it I have been having no problems at
all until a couple of days ago. I mainly use my player for audio books and
I have successfully listened to about four books with this build with no
problems till as I say just recently. The way I listen to my books is to
break them up into 20 minute files with a small application that I got off
the net. As I said I have had no problems till a couple of days ago when I
experienced the following. the current book I am reading is split into
about 60 20 minute files and I was listening with no problems till I got to
the 30th file or there about. What happened was the file will start to play
and play for about three or four seconds then everything crashes and I get
no functionality using the buttons but the disk is constantly spinning and
the only way to stop it is to hit the reset button. I thought this strange
so after resetting I fired up RB again and got the first few seconds of the
same file before it just crashed and I got the constant disk spin. If I
then start up RB and as soon as the book starts reading I hit stop I have
the full functionality of RB in that I can browse the drive and play with
the options none of which when I changed them made any difference. If I
then started the file again it would play a couple of seconds and crash at
the same point. Next time I started up RB I quickly forwarded it to the
next file and things seemed to work for a couple of files or so then the
same crashing started to happen at another point but always at the same
stage of that file. I carried out some further investigations when I had a
pair of eyes around and the two files that would not play in RB played just
fine in the IRiver software. I then tried to play another book with RB and
\I must admit I only played a few mins and did not seem to get this problem
with the others. I realise all I need to do is finish the book I am on with
the IRiver which is only a minor pain but I thought some of you might find
this behaviour a bit interesting, and if anyone has any ideas they would be
very welcome.

Cheers

Hamish

PS The only difference between the folder and files of this book with the
ones I have read previously is that I forgot to apply the voice box script
to it so it is not reading the folder and file names with Sam but using the
default spelling for file names and numbering for the directory or folder
name. I cant however imagine this is a problem.