Subject: RE: questions about rockbox on a h 340

RE: questions about rockbox on a h 340

From: Rob Powell <rob_at_rinty.plus.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 11:36:02 +0100

Hi Simon,

OK here's a description of the player from a blind person's point of view.
Assume the player is on the desk, with the buttons and screen upwards, and
the screen furthest away from you.

1. Top face. From left to right, headphone, remote jacks, (a small
rectangular one and a round one). Mic/line out and line in on the right.

2. right-hand face. "hold" switch, down is hold on, up hold off, I.E. the
position for normal operation.

3. Bottom face, I.E. the end face nearest your belly!. Left-right, Mains,
(DC in) jack, USB host, (when you're uploading from a camera where the
iriver is the host, USB client, where the iriver is receiving data from your
computer. There's another small circular hole, but I don't thhink it does
anything.

4. lefthand side face. Top to bottom, mike, (small grill), just below
this, very small reset button. Needs to be pressed with a paper clip or
safety pin. A pen's too thick. To help blind people find it, it's just
above some raised writing.

5. Top face. The half furthest away from you is the screen. The bottom
half contains the major buttons. There's a raised square, with a square in
the middle. There are then 2 other buttons on the left and right of the
square.

Left buttons, top, on/play, bottom, stop/off. The square, left side of the
square, left/rewind/previous, right, right and fast forward/next. Central
part of the square, "enter". Top and bottom of the square, up and down to
cycle through menu options, or up and down volume when playing. The right 2
buttons, the lower one is menu, and the upper one I've never used.

Re installing rockbox, it's substancially more involved than for the archos
units, though just work through. The firmware bootloader has to be
installed first, as rockbox requires adapted firmware to run on the iriver
You basically download the firmware, and the patcher, then manually patch
the firmware. You need to be aware that the patching programme isn't 100%
JFW accessible, use the jaws cursor to find the buttons, and use the right
mouse button on the num pad to activate the buttons.

The instructions on installation are fine other than that. Just follow them
through.

Unfortunately I've just got a new PC having lost all my stuff, so can't send
you the copy of a message that was on the list telling you which buttons to
press on the player to update the firmware. Maybe soneone else on the list
could repost that message? Ian found it for me.

   Hope this helps.

Rob