Subject: Re: iPodLinux and Rockbox on the same iPod.

Re: iPodLinux and Rockbox on the same iPod.

From: Dan <rockbox.user_at_korvan.homeunix.net>
Date: 2006-04-18

On Fri, April 14 2006, at 21:03, Jonathan Koff said:
> I currently have an iPod Mini 2nd Gen with the original Apple
> firmware and iPodLinux on it. If I add Rockbox, will iPodLinux still
> be able to boot? To install it, I needed to modify the original
> firmware, so I'm not completely sure it would work...
> Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

I've definitely managed to triple-boot my 4th gen mono iPod with IPL and
Rockbox, but I installed the other way around to what you're asking (ie:
Rockbox first and then IPL).

I can't vouch for the Rockbox bootloader, but IPL's bootloader let me boot
as follows:

- Boot without hold button or pressing any other buttons = Rockbox
- Boot with hold switch on or rew button pressed = IPL
- Boot with menu button (or was it play/pause) pressed = Apple firmware

The article that helped me with this[1] said to install Rockbox first and
then, without allowing the iPod to reboot, install IPL immediately
afterwards, but I did it days apart without any problems.

HTH,
Dan.

[1] http://www.ipodwizard.net/archive/index.php/t-8053.html