Subject: Re: Need opinion about voicing for software codec targets

Re: Need opinion about voicing for software codec targets

From: James Teh <>
Date: 2006-04-19

Hi Brandon,

I personally wouldn't want to lose the mixing, as although you sometimes
have to rewind, it does allow for less interruption, particularly if
listening to music. Also, one can pause the playback if one desires to
hear the speech alone (when this works, anyway; currently, speech isn't
possible when playback is paused). It might be nice to have the volume
of the playback dropped a touch more than it is now, although perhaps
creators of voice files just need to be careful to raise the volume enough.

Brandon Low wrote:
> The current playback code plays the voice clips mixed with audio if you
> are playing audio. Is this good, or would it be better to play the
> voice _instead_ of the playing audio?
> I'm about to start working on getting voice into a releasable status on
> swcodec, so I'm interested in opinions on this before I get too deep
> into it.
> Thanks,
> Brandon

James Teh