Subject: iAudio M5 / X5 ? (Modified by Wilmer van der Gaast)

iAudio M5 / X5 ? (Modified by Wilmer van der Gaast)

From: Wilmer van der Gaast <wilmer_at_gaast.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 15:48:12 +0200

Hello,

I'm thinking of buying an iAudio M5L player. My current iRiver iMP-550
battery charging circuit seems to be broken, and iRiver refuses to
repair it (even though the thing is less than two years old). So please
don't advise me to buy iRiver instead, since I don't feel like sending
more money to that company. ;-)

Anyway, it seems so far that only the X5 devices are supported. So now
I wonder, how much do the M5 and X5 have in common? People don't seem
to agree about this yet, some say it's just the display, some say
there's more. I guess those are the people who actually took a closer
look then. ;-)

Anyway, since the X5 has the usual bloat like picture and movie
support, which I really don't need/want, and since the thing is at
least 100 euros more expensive, I'd rather stick with the M5. How
likely is that one to be supported in the future?

I do have some reverse engineering experience (although more in the
software field than the hardware field, and mostly with x86 hardware so
far), so as long as it's safe for my player, I'd certainly be
interested in helping where possible.

Wilmer van der Gaast.

--
| wilmer : :'  :  gaast.net |  | OSS Programmer   www.bitlbee.org |