Subject: Improvements in Voice UI and a bug that remains

Improvements in Voice UI and a bug that remains

From: Andrew Hart <ahart_at_dim.uchile.cl>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:47:00 -0400

Hi folks.

I have installed a cvs build from last night on my Iriver H340. I
notice an improvement in the Voice UI. Now, if you start a song
playing, and then enter the Rockbox menu, the voice starts speaking
almost immediately. Before, the first time the menus spoke while a
song was playing, I used to lose all audio for about half a second
before the voice would start to speak. Now it seems quite smooth and
responsive in the menus. Well done!

I do notice one bug which is easy to reproduce:
Go into a directory and start playing the files that are there.
When there are no more songs to play, Rockbox stops. At this point,
there is no speech at all. If I play the last song again, the voice
will start to talk again. On the other hand, if I press stop to
manually stop a song from playing, this problem does not occur.

To summarise, it seems that if Rockbox stops playing a song itself
without the user telling it to, the voice UI goes silent. If the
user instructs Rockbox to stop playing, the voice UI continues to work.

Of course, there's still that bug which can cause Rockbox to
completely lock up that Jamie has reported on swcodec players.

Cheers,
Andrew.