Subject: Re: Improvements in Voice UI and a bug that remains

Re: Improvements in Voice UI and a bug that remains

From: James Teh <jamie_at_jantrid.net>
Date: 2006-04-30

Hi.
The sound settings menu will currently not speak during playback because
Rockbox enters low latency mode. The idea behind this mode is that
sound settings will take effect very soon after they are changed. With
low latency mode disabled, if a crossfade buffer is set, the settings
would take quite some time to take effect as they are changed.
Unfortunately, the voice UI cannot function during low latency mode
because there is not enough audio with which to mix the voice. I have
suggested that there be an option of disabling low latency mode for
those of us that care more about speech in the sound settings menu than
about latency, but whether and when it gets implemented is an open
question.

Jamie

--
James Teh