Subject: Re: H-140 & RB

Re: H-140 & RB

From: James Teh <jamie_at_jantrid.net>
Date: 2006-05-01

On Sun, Apr 30, 2006 at 10:05:41AM -0600, Rocker wrote:
> What's going on hear? Looks to me like 3.0 is a long way away with all
> these new bugs. I now know that I need to disable the resume on start up
> which I don't like because I use my player to read audio books quite a bit.
Patience. :) Bugs are frustrating for all of us, but please try to
remember that the playback code has undergone major changes in the last
few weeks to fix some other major bugs. Bugs like these were therefore
somewhat inevitable. I posted a few days ago noting that people
interested in playback/voice UI progress on software codec platforms
(non-Archos units) should keep an eye on this wiki page:
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/SoftwareCodecPlayback
It lists the known bugs in the software codec playback/voice UI code and
the bugs that have been fixed recently.
It does look like 3.0 will certainly not be delivered by the projected
release date, though.
A bit of patience and helpful suggestions of bugs and things not fixed,
as well as keeping an eye on wiki pages like this and the bug tracker,
go a long way to helping development if you aren't able to code the
respective parts yourself (I can't either :) ).

> 1) Will this resume on start up feature be fixed prior to 3.0?
While I'm not a dev, I would very much think so.

> 2) Are there devs testing functionality of RB and the voice UI on the H120
> units?
Probably, but it all depends on who has H1x0 units and who uses the
voice UI. The devs are vaulunteering their time/skills, remember. Why
not test yourself and report bugs, assuming they haven't already been
reported (check the wiki page above)?
Note also that the H300 and H100 units are very similar. In terms of the
main Rockbox code, if there is a bug on the H100 series, it'll most
likely manifest itself on the H300 series as well, which currently seems
to be well tested.

> I loved the responsiveness of the latest voice UI but cannot risk losing my
> player for good.
You can't 'lose your player for good'. You can always reset your
settings by holding down rec while booting Rockbox, although admitedly,
I sometimes can't get this to work (probably a timing issue). If you
revert to an earlier build with a different settings version (such as
the March builds), it will often force a reset of settings, so this is
one way to force a settings reset if you can't get the rec trick to
work. Note that you should not press rec while still holding play, as
this will probably start the Iriver firmware.

Jamie

--
James Teh
Email: jamie@jantrid.net