Subject: Re: A rather interesting patent from Apple

Re: A rather interesting patent from Apple

From: Dave Chapman <dave_at_dchapman.com>
Date: 2006-05-05

Linus Nielsen Feltzing wrote:
> John Bauman wrote:
>
>> Here's a new patent that Apple just received that I think people here
>> (especially blind users) might find interesting:
>> http://tinyurl.com/qwzux
>

> It's especially interesting, since Rockbox implemented Voice UI in early
> 2004, while the patent was filed in september 2004.
>
> Perhaps even more amusing is that the Rockbox voice UI works on iPod
> even before Apple. :-)

Yes, but Apple also filed another patent in July 2003 (before Rockbox's
implementation) for a general Voice UI (i.e. voiced menu entries):

This is mentioned in paragaph [0001] of the above patent application -
that original patent is here:

http://tinyurl.com/zggj5

So whilst I'm sure prior art exists, Rockbox doesn't predate the initial
patent application, just the extension to pre-generate voice clips based
on filenames/tags.

Dave.