Subject: Re: Iaudio vs. iriver

Re: Iaudio vs. iriver

From: Erik <paddlaren_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2006-05-14

Hi!

I have an iAudio X5 with 60GB disc. I am very pleased.

The file-system is limited to 10000 files and it might sound a lot but
for 60GB it's not. I listen to audio-books and those have a lot of files
and 60GB is very much space to fill.

The original firmware includes a simple file-manager if you tell the
device to act like an USB-Host. This allows you to copy files and
yesterday i loaded the Rockbox firmware with this file-manager without
any connection to my computer. I liked this :) Now I will se if I can do
the same with Rockbox and switch back.

The X5 have bios for USB and charging. When you plug in a switched off
device to the charger or computer this original bios take handle. If the
rockbox daily build is broken you can still put on the old one or the
original firmware. I think this is nice.

The X5 need a small docking-thing for USB-connection and charing. Though
there is a small USB-host connector that does not need the
docking-thing. This can act as a host for a camera or another iAudio or
so if you like, or as a ordinary USB-port if that is needed. This is not
very documented so I found out by trial-and-error. Don't know if this
one works in rockbox though.

Rockbox runs nicely but I think the original firmware make the battery
last longer. Not quite sure though.

To be honest. I like Rockbox and the idea of open source. But the
original firmare in the X5 is quite good and therefor I have not decided
to switch to rockbox permanently yet. I been travel a lot lately so the
battery capacity is an issue for me and the main reason for keeping the
original firmware.

// Erik