Subject: Re: Ipod Video line-out?

Re: Ipod Video line-out?

From: Dave Chapman <>
Date: 2006-05-16

Aman Singer wrote:
> Hi, all.
> Two questions, if I may ask them. First, is there a line-out port on
> the Ipod video? If so, where is it? All I can seem to find is the headphone
> port. Does this serve only as a headphone jack or have some other functions?

Yes, there is a line-out hidden in the "dock connector" at the bottom of
all ipods (and a line-in on most ipods as well). There are many
adapters available to give you access to the line-out - e.g. the widely
available "Pocket Dock", or custom cables such as the ones at

However, on the video ipod (as opposed to earlier ipods), there doesn't
appear to be (according to posts in the forums at any quality difference between using the
line-out or using the headphone out with the Rockbox volume set ot 0dB
(line-out level). Of course, your opinion may differ.