Subject: Daily build an archos recorder V1

Daily build an archos recorder V1

From: Thomas Heuving <heuving_at_gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 19:25:42 +0200

After several month I installed the newest daily build of rockbox
on my Archos Recoder V1. I wanted to try the new tagcache. Here are
my impressions:
1. My old configuration-file didn't work as expected. THe volume
   now can only be set in a range from -?? to +12. Before it was in
   a range from 0 to 100. My old setting of 80 was interpeted as 12,
   way to loud. First I could not hear anything, after lowering the
   volume a 12 was shown as before but now the volume was on the
   highest possible level - way to loud. There should be an explicit
   warning about this! Can I get the old behaviour back through some
   option which I didn't encounter?
2. I hadn't noticed but my wps wasn't loaded because now it has to
   reside in .rockbox/wps!?
3. Tagcache
   In short: It doesn't work on my box. First, settings like
   General Settings -> Playback -> Tag cache
   General Settings -> System -> Disk -> Directory Cache
   are not available.
   I tried to build the tagcache on my box (80G HD, 70G are filled),
   using
   General Settings -> Playback -> Force tag cache update
   as described in the wiki.
   It ran for more than 1 and a half hour before I decided to stop
   the attempt (the wiki says it would take 5-10 minutes!).
   Afterwards I couldn't start my box. On startup there was a
   message regarding the tagcache, the disk spun up for some
   10 seconds and afterwards the unit showed the bootscreen until I
   shut the recorder down. Only solution was to delete all files related
   to the tagcache (luckily I hadn't flashed!).

Besides of that I use the new version (CVS-060518) without any other
problems. I hadn't updated for some time because there were reports
about problems with loading of the batteries. I have the impression that
the runtime now is better than in the old version, but had not the time
to look into that.

Tschüß
--
Thomas Heuving