Subject: Re: Daily build an archos recorder V1

Re: Daily build an archos recorder V1

From: Manuel Dejonghe <manuel_at_dejonghe.de>
Date: 2006-05-21

On 5/20/06, Thomas Heuving <heuving@gmx.de> wrote:
> After several month I installed the newest daily build of rockbox
> on my Archos Recoder V1. I wanted to try the new tagcache. Here are
> my impressions:
> 3. Tagcache
> In short: It doesn't work on my box. First, settings like
> General Settings -> Playback -> Tag cache
> General Settings -> System -> Disk -> Directory Cache
> are not available.
> I tried to build the tagcache on my box (80G HD, 70G are filled),
> using
> General Settings -> Playback -> Force tag cache update
> as described in the wiki.
> It ran for more than 1 and a half hour before I decided to stop
> the attempt (the wiki says it would take 5-10 minutes!).
> Afterwards I couldn't start my box. On startup there was a
> message regarding the tagcache, the disk spun up for some
> 10 seconds and afterwards the unit showed the bootscreen until I
> shut the recorder down. Only solution was to delete all files related
> to the tagcache (luckily I hadn't flashed!).

Hi Thomas,

I played around with the tagcache on my archos recorder v1 as well,
and had the same symptoms, the only difference is, that is works. I
agree it takes a long time. The wiki article is referring to the newer
SWCODEC devices, as some iPod-specific notes show. The tag cache
update takes a long time, and the first bootup takes long as well, but
afterwards it works fine. The second boot and afterwards are almost as
fast as usual.

~lImbus