Subject: Speed changing

Speed changing

From: Grant Hardy <>
Date: 2006-05-23

I'm just wondering, sorry to revisit an already picked over subject, but I'm
wondering whether on-the-fly speed compression preserving pitch will ever be
possible on software codec platforms. I believe it would be one of the most
attractive features of Rockbox, for blind and sighted users alike, when
playing audiobooks or speeding through podcasts. I wonder whether this
feature is expected to be functional and what it would need (i.e. would you
need to perform a lot of research about how this could be done, or just a
programmer who's got the itch to do the coding)? I have little
understanding of Rockbox code but could certainly look into it. :-

I also want to say that a lot of people seem to think that my suggestions
are really attempts to criticize the Rockbox project. I certainly don't
mean it like that. If development for Rockbox stopped today, I would still
use it and love it a lot. I just think this would be an improvement to an
already amazing program.