Subject: Re: Speed changing

Re: Speed changing

From: Mike Hodson <mystica_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2006-05-23

On 5/22/06, Grant Hardy <grant_hardy@telus.net> wrote:
> I'm just wondering, sorry to revisit an already picked over subject, but I'm
> wondering whether on-the-fly speed compression preserving pitch will ever be
> possible on software codec platforms.

Not to get your hopes up or down, but yes, it technically is possible
to do software pitch-stable time compression, however the math
required to do this (mind you, on a fully fledged multimedia computer
it takes plenty of cpu time using different audio editing programs)
ontop of decoding, almost certainly will overload the fairly simple
CPUs inside most mp3 hardware, rendering your player into a fairly
useless brick until you switch songs. :)

Just my 2 cents

Not to say that theres no possibility for it to happen, but that it is
complex to do and may require some ultra next-gen player to
accomplish.