Subject: Re: Tts in rockbox

Re: Tts in rockbox

From: Jens Arnold <arnold-j_at_t-online.de>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 21:06:14 +0200

On 26.05.2006, Mark wrote:

> None of the current targets are powerful enough to do
> understandable TTS in realtime.

This is imho not true. All our targets should have enough
processing power to run realtime TTS. A plain Amiga 500 (7MHz
MC68000, 512KB of RAM) was able to do it in the 80s, with a
narrator.device of ~64KB and a translator.library of ~13KB.
(Note: These are enhanced versions - the original AmigaOS 1.3
versions were probably still smaller)

The biggest hurdle on archos was the inability to play PCM
samples - but that's possible now thanks to the PCM codec.

The real challenging task now would be to actually write a
compact, efficient, opensource TTS engine, preferably supporting
more than one language.

> On Fri, 26 May 2006 13:39:15 +0100, Juan Hernandez
> <juanh_at_cox.net> wrote:

>> Hello, I am blind, and would like to contribute to the
>> rockbox project.

>> I am wanting to write code for tts (Text to Speech) support
>> in RB, right
>> now, the voices idea works really well, but what if a blind
>> user gets
>> into
>> an area that doesn't speak? I'd like to work on this.

>> If any one has ideas on this please let me know.

Regards, Jens