Subject: Re: voice labelling folders

Re: voice labelling folders

From: Brian Wolven <bcwolven_at_jhu.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 15:18:25 -0400

Aman Singer wrote:
> Hi, Brian.
> I hope Brian Wolven, who was good enough to write this, is still
> around and will answer, as he knows the windows scripting host, and that the
> folks who wrote the HTA application are also reading, as this may be an
> issue with that, though I doubt it. When I type this error into google, it
> gives me quite a few sites telling me that I need to reinstall or reregister
> the windows scripting host. Were I you, I'd follow the instructions at
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q311269
> All I can suggest otherwise is that you make sure your
> windows scripting host is properly installed, possibly reinstalling it's
> latest version.

Yes, I'm still lurking about in the shadows. =)

The HTA is just a more convenient interface to the script, so if there is a
problem with the WSH (windows script host) installation itself, neither will
work properly. If you could open up a command prompt and type the following:

cscript /?

you should see the following:

Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.6
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1996-2001. All rights reserved.

Usage: CScript scriptname.extension [option...] [arguments...]

  //B Batch mode: Suppresses script errors and prompts from displaying
  //D Enable Active Debugging
  //E:engine Use engine for executing script
  //H:CScript Changes the default script host to CScript.exe
  //H:WScript Changes the default script host to WScript.exe (default)
  //I Interactive mode (default, opposite of //B)
  //Job:xxxx Execute a WSF job
  //Logo Display logo (default)
  //Nologo Prevent logo display: No banner will be shown at execution time
  //S Save current command line options for this user
  //T:nn Time out in seconds: Maximum time a script is permitted to run
  //X Execute script in debugger
  //U Use Unicode for redirected I/O from the console

If you don't have WSH version 5.6 installed, then you're not likely to get
anything to work. Are you running Windows XP or windows 2000? If you are, then
WSH should already be installed. If you're running an older consumer version of
windows (95, 98, ME) then you can get the WSH installer here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0a8a18f6-249c-4a72-bfcf-fc6af26dc390&displaylang=en