Subject: Re: Tts in rockbox

Re: Tts in rockbox

From: Pieter Bos <>
Date: 2006-05-27

"Andrew Hart" <> wrote in message
> This engine looks interesting. These comments are very preliminary, as
> I've only spent five minutes looking at it.
> Points in its favour:
> Small; though I don't know what working space it needs to run.
> It appears to be a phoneme-based tone-generated synthesizer which doesn't
> require much memory or CPU grunt to run.
> Points against it:
> It currently dynamically links against the PortAudio library, which is
> most probably unnecessary. It would be necessary to investigate if
> PortAudio is really needed--my feeling is that it is not since Rockbox
> already has it's own platform independent audio subsystem.
> It's written in C++. It would have to be reworked in plain C so that it
> could be compiled on all the different platforms independently and without
> compatibility issues, as well as to conserve memory in the generated
> binary.

Portaudio shouldn't be a real problem. From the documentation, portaudio
provides device selection, audio playback/recording and automatic sample
rate conversion if a certain sample rate is not supported. It uses a
callback function that is called whenever it needs more audio. It shouldn't
be hard to port anything using this library to using a different audio
playback library, or even to port portaudio to rockbox.