Subject: Re: Daily build an archos recorder V1

Re: Daily build an archos recorder V1

From: Thomas Heuving <heuving_at_gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 10:43:26 +0200

Thomas 'Ingrid' Heuving schrieb am Sun, 21 May 2006 11:40:01 +0200:
>> I played around with the tagcache on my archos recorder v1 as well,
>> and had the same symptoms, the only difference is, that is works. I
>> agree it takes a long time. The wiki article is referring to the newer
>> SWCODEC devices, as some iPod-specific notes show. The tag cache
>> update takes a long time, and the first bootup takes long as well, but
>> afterwards it works fine. The second boot and afterwards are almost as
>> fast as usual.
>
> I didn't finish the process, so I think I have to be sufficiently
> patient.
> I will give it another shot then. I'm at home now and can connect
> the device to the charger so time doesn't matter that much. And if
> all goes wrong I can go to USB-Mode and delete the files from my PC.
> Last time I tried it "on the road" and wasn't amused about the
> draining batteries.

After all I managed to build the tagcache in my Archos Recorder V1.
Don't know how much time it took, I started it around midnight and
today in the early morning it was done.
Now startup time is in the range of several minutes, showing
Committing tagcache
   [1/10]
But when I try to use it, I get a message "Tagcache is not ready".
That's a bit disappointing after waiting for so long ;-)
Same behaviour with the daily build from the 18. as well as with
the build from today. Or should I build the tagcache from scratch
with the new daily build?
As mentioned in my first post, there are two settings missing on my
unit:
        General Settings -> Playback -> Tag cache
        General Settings -> System -> Disk -> Directory Cache
I found two files under the .rockbox-dir of my unit which I moved to
another place, namely
tagcache.tmp.tcd
tagnavi.config
After that startup was as fast as before.
Is anybody interested in these files for an analysis?

As I find the idea of browing by tags quite good, I would like to help in
testing this feature. I think no developer is using this with an Archos.
So if you would like me to run some tests, contact me.

At least on the archos there should be an option to not load the tagcache
on startup but when needed.
As this feature actually isn't working on the Archos, I will put a
warning about this in the Wiki.

Tschüß
--
Thomas Heuving