Subject: Re: Daily build an archos recorder V1

Re: Daily build an archos recorder V1

From: Thomas Heuving <heuving_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 14:03:29 +0200

Jens Arnold schrieb am Thu, 01 Jun 2006 00:26:22 +0200:
> On 31.05.2006, Thomas Heuving wrote:
>>> While building tagcache takes a while on archos, it should
>>> work
>>> fine once it's built. On my recorder v1, the initial scan
>>> ("force
>>> tagcache update") takes around 17 minutes, the commit on
>>> next
>>> boot (counting from [1/10] to [10/10]) takes around 1.5
>>> minutes.
>>> After that, the tagcache is usable, and subsequent boots are
>>> as
>>> fast as without tagcache. My unit has 4774 files on it (3330
>>> music files), and 393 directories, according to the stats
>>> plugin.
>
>> I used find: 16461 files (15164 *.mp3) and 1130 dirs. I will
>> try it with the newer build from yesterday and report if it's
>> working. One last thought: I'm using rombox, and maybe that's
>> the reason for failing?

It doesn't work with the daily build from yesterday. Apart from that
I had the following problems:
  Building of the tagcache is stopped after invoking a plugin. It
  stops also if the user inserts power. It doesn't even resume after
  the plugin is stopped or power is unplugged. You can't even
  restart the process.

> Rombox is definitely not the problem. I always use rombox, on
> all my archoses. But the problem might be that you have >10000
> music files... Iirc Slasheri said there is a 10000 file limit.

If there's a limit of 10000 files, why not raise it to say 25000? IMHO
there are quite a number of archos with a 80GB HDD (like mine) or even
greater. 10000 looks quite arbitrary to me (as was said in University:
Always use a power of 2 for limits, then you have at least a chance to
plead technical reasons).

Tschüß
--
Thomas Heuving