Subject: Using Autorun.inf on an iPod

Using Autorun.inf on an iPod

From: Mark <discardedswimwear_at_googlemail.com>
Date: 2006-06-05

Hi,

This question is only indirectly related to RB in that it is about now using
an iPod as a true "flat file" MP3 player, where the file names are still
meaningful and so it can make sense to copy files directly to it. I hope it
isn't too off topic.

I'm trying to use autorun.inf on my iPod Nano as a way to launch a simple
automated sync utility I've written (it's a simple batch file).
Windows XP does see the iPod as a device which has autoplay enabled, and I
have written a simple autorun.inf file to launch this app, but every time I
try to "install" from the file menu (that is the way of running the .inf
file), I get an error message telling me that the "install" failed, i.e. my
program did not start.
I can launch the batch file from Windows Explorer, but that is a manual way
of doing something I had hoped would be automatic.

any ideas on why it seems that an autorun.inf file does not work on the
iPod?

Thanks,

Mark