Subject: Re: Gain

Re: Gain

From: Thom Johansen <>
Date: 2006-06-06

Simon Eigeldinger wrote:
> Hello,
> My hardware is iRiver H 340.
> I have a electred condenser stereo microphone and the sound is to
> low.
> Is that because the it hasn't any plugin power?
> Can the gain be much higher than it is now? Because when I have the
> gain at it's highest it would be often good if I can have more gain
> because the signal I get is low.
> Or have I to connect a preamp to the recorder?
Electret condenser mics do not need phantom power, but
some of them do require pre-amps to get a decent output level,
so things seem to point towards you needing to use a pre-amp.
It is technically possible for us to apply more recording gain
in software, but it will be digital gain, and won't sound very
good if you need much of it.