Subject: RE: Another happy user (H140)

RE: Another happy user (H140)

From: Christopher Woods <christof_at_infinitus.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 22:24:45 +0100

Agreed, you just tilt it a little bit so the sunshine doesn't directly
reflect off the case and bingo: you can read it.

I REALLY dig that fade out on the LCD backlight, when I first saw it I
actually went "ooooooooo" :D

Found and successfully installed the fonts, nice one. I noted on the wiki
that if you put fonts into the .rb/fonts dir, it will autoload them - if you
want to change themes and have the fonts auto-load, what's the best way to
do it? Put the fonts into the same directory as the wps files?

I have noticed one or two odd behaviours with RB which I was wondering if
someone with more experience could clear up...

For instance, when you press and hold the joystick to load the context menu
with the EQ setitngs, Open With..., Playlist, bookmarks and Pitch, it's
simple to navigate back out of that menu - you just nudge the joystick left,
and you're back at the Now Playing screen. Similarly, pressing the A-B
button cycles through what I estimate to be the 'main' menu and the Now
Playing menu. The same goes for if you hold the A-B to get to the Shuffle /
Repeat options screen, you just hit A-B to get back to Now Playing.

However, if you're in the tree view, navigating left and left to get to the
root, doesn't take you back to the Now Playing screen once you've reached
the root and you nudge the joystick left again (which is what you'd
logically expect to happen, and is what happens if you're in the iRiver
firmware, you nudge left or tap the stop button until you reach the root and
the next time you do it you go back to the now playing screen). Hitting stop
whilst in the tree view stops the audio (dur), and hitting play is the only
button which seemingly takes you back to Now Playing - it's not a huge deal
at the end of the day, it's more of a UI consideration, would it be hard to
modify the behaviour of the left nudge joystick action whilst in the tree
view to make it take you back to the Now Playing screen instead of doing
nothing? Then its behaviour would fall in line with the other menus.

Also, I know it's probably dependent on the WPS configuration for each
theme, but is there any easy way to enable VU meters on the Now Playing
screen? I know there's a VU meter plugin in the Plugins directory, but
having a simple VU on the main screen is one of the few things I miss from
the original f/w.

I'm really digging this precaching on track skip though, finally true
gapless! I gave it a quick test with a mixed album I have, 320kbps MP3 and
it transitioned from one track to the next absolutely flawlessly, not even a
pop or a slight jump in the audio. I'm really impressed. And the
dynamically-changing fast forward speed as you scan through a file (slow,
then fast and then slows down as you approach the end of the file) - that's
inspired! The amount of times I've tried to fast forward to near the end of
a file and ended up skipping to the next track.

  _____