Subject: Re: Using Autorun.inf on an iPod

Re: Using Autorun.inf on an iPod

From: victor rajewski <askvictor_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 14:44:40 +1000

From http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/usbfaq.mspx comes this:

Q: What must I do to trigger Autorun on my USB storage device?
The Autorun capabilities are restricted to CD-ROM drives and fixed
disk drives. If you need to make a USB storage device perform Autorun,
the device must not be marked as a removable media device and the
device must contain an Autorun.inf file and a startup application.

The removable media device setting is a flag contained within the SCSI
Inquiry Data response to the SCSI Inquiry command. Bit 7 of byte 1
(indexed from 0) is the Removable Media Bit (RMB). A RMB set to zero
indicates that the device is not a removable media device. A RMB of
one indicates that the device is a removable media device. Drivers
obtain this information by using the StorageDeviceProperty request.

For more information about the SCSI Inquiry command, see the T10
committee located at http://www.t10.org.

For more information about the StorageDeviceProperty, see the
STORAGE_DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR storage structure in the Windows DDK,
located at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/storage_r/hh/storage_r/structs-general_3c393126-f5c8-47d8-bfb5-6127ce656e9a.xml.asp.

For more information on Autorun.inf files see the "Creating an
AutoRun-Enabled Application" article located at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_basics/shell_basics_extending/autorun/autoplay_works.asp?frame=true.