Subject: Re: Using Autorun.inf on an iPod

Re: Using Autorun.inf on an iPod

From: victor rajewski <>
Date: 2006-06-09

From comes this:

Q: What must I do to trigger Autorun on my USB storage device?
The Autorun capabilities are restricted to CD-ROM drives and fixed
disk drives. If you need to make a USB storage device perform Autorun,
the device must not be marked as a removable media device and the
device must contain an Autorun.inf file and a startup application.

The removable media device setting is a flag contained within the SCSI
Inquiry Data response to the SCSI Inquiry command. Bit 7 of byte 1
(indexed from 0) is the Removable Media Bit (RMB). A RMB set to zero
indicates that the device is not a removable media device. A RMB of
one indicates that the device is a removable media device. Drivers
obtain this information by using the StorageDeviceProperty request.

For more information about the SCSI Inquiry command, see the T10
committee located at

For more information about the StorageDeviceProperty, see the
STORAGE_DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR storage structure in the Windows DDK,
located at

For more information on Autorun.inf files see the "Creating an
AutoRun-Enabled Application" article located at