Subject: Re: Looking for converter "MPEG 2.5" -> "MPEG 2"

Re: Looking for converter "MPEG 2.5" -> "MPEG 2"

From: A. Lester Buck III <>
Date: 2006-06-14

>Are you sure that the files that don't play are really MPEG2.5
>layer 3 at 24kbit/s, 11025Hz? While the hardware decoder used in
>the archos Player/Studio does have some limitations for MPEG2.5
>and doesn't play the full range of bitrates, 24kbit/s at 11025Hz
>should work. The page
>shows my findings about the limitations of the MAS codecs.
>However, if the files are really 11025Hz 24kbit/s and don't
>play, then the only reason I can imagine is that there must be
>several revisions of the MAS3507 with differing capabilities
>regarding MPEG2.5. Would be interesting to find out...

I bought my Archos 6000, serial number 011500337, in May 2001.
(Is that 102 in Internet years?) Example files that show the
effect are at:

All the MP3 files are MPEG 2.5 except for the Lloyd Irvin file,
which is MPEG 2 (recorded earlier than the others). The file
format is as reported by Mp3Tag v2.35.