Subject: Digital output not working with some files on JBR V1

Digital output not working with some files on JBR V1

From: <sfsprs-audio_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 18:09:29 -0700 (PDT)

I have a used Archos JBR V1 that I bought on ebay. I'm finding that
the digital output works with most mp3 files but not others. Very
strange. The analog output seems to work fine with all files. I've
tried two different digital receivers connected to the Archos, and this
issue happens with both.

Just to see if I could narrow the problem down, I loaded a nonplaying
file into audify and messed around with it a bit. Strangely even after
re exporting the file in mp3 format, it still doesn't play on the
digital output of the JBR V1.

For example, here is an mp3 file that plays fine through the analog
output but not at all through the digital output:

http://tom-morrow-land.com/scratch/noplaydigital.mp3 (13kb)

When it plays correctly you'll hear a woman say "Contact and ordering
information follows the program". This file was cut out of another
bigger nonplaying file. Then I cut, amplified, eq'd, and changed speed
in audify and re exported. I used mp3tag to remove the mp3 tags just
in case that was an issue, and it still doesn't work.

If anyone who uses digital outputs on their Archos JBR V1 would try
this file out, I'd be interested in seeing if it works for you; that
way I would know whether my player is the problem or something about
the mastering. Also if anyone knows how to fix this problem please let
me know... it must be something about the file since other files
reliably play fine.