Subject: Ipod problems

Ipod problems

From: Rob Powell <>
Date: 2006-06-20

Hi all, sorry to post this again, but I'm pretty stuck.
I've just got a new ipod photo 60GB off ebay. I got no manual or anything
with it. I've tried to install rockbox, and it appears as drive E. When I
click on
it, the computer asks me if I want to reformat it. I realise that I'll have
to reformat it with Swissknife, as the partition will be too large for winXP
to format it as a fat 32 drive.
I think my system found it, (using ipodpatcher at the command prompt), but
it said bad boot sector. I did a chkdsk on the appropriate drive, (E) and
said that the file system was .raw?? does this mean it's been formatted for
use on a mac, and if so, can I simply reformat the drive? and then what?
I go straight to installing the firmware, or do I have to install some apple
firmware first, and where would I get it?
I'm a totally blind rockbox user, does the click wheel still work when
rockbox is installed? Can it be disabled? Is there a full button
description on
the Rockbox site, (I couldn't find it). Where's the "play" and the "menu"
buttons? I realise that they're different parts of the click-wheel.
Thanks very much for any help guys, I bought it for the increased capacity,
and because my battery life is still rubbish on the 2 irivers I've got.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.