Subject: Re: Ipod problems

Re: Ipod problems

From: Woody Anna Dresner <wadresner_at_hawaiiantel.net>
Date: 2006-06-20

Hi Rob,

I can't help with everything, but I can help a little.

A good place to find the relevant Rockbox links, including
descriptions of doing some things from a blind person's perspective,
is Brian Hartgen's Portable Players Portal at
http://www.hartgen.org/portable.html
I am blind as well and am using a 2GB iPod Nano. If yours works
anything like mine, you control the click wheel by moving your finger
around the edge, and there are also controls at the top, bottom, left
and right which you access by pressing down on the wheel. The bottom
is play/pause, also used to power down the unit by holding for 4
seconds. The top is Menu; in Rockbox it goes to the main menu, and
in iTunes, it is a back button. The left is previous/rewind when
playing tracks, and backs you up through Rockbox menus. The right
side does the opposite. The middle is Select, used a lot like an
Enter key. On the Nano, Rockbox uses the click wheel, so I imagine
it will on yours as well.

The site for downloading the latest Apple firmware is
http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/
I'm sure that's going to need to be loaded and functioning before you
can load Rockbox software. To use Rockbox, you install a bootloader
- a program that lets you choose between running the Apple and
Rockbox firmware. I don't know what you should do if the iPod is
formatted for a Mac; you might search the Apple site for that. You
need to get the iPod into a Windows format and have the Apple
firmware running before you can install Rockbox.

Good luck with what sounds like a frustrating problem.

Cheers,
Anna