Subject: Re: charging questions

Re: charging questions

From: James Teh <jamie_at_jantrid.net>
Date: 2006-06-24

Jens Arnold wrote:
> One could think so. However, there are several units which have
> hardware controlled charging but still can't be powered down
> while the charger is connected. The Iriver H300 is one of them,
> the Archos Player/Studio is another. This is how the hardware
> works, nothing that can be changed in firmware.
Ah. I thought this used to work on the H300, but I could very well have
just not tested it. :) What happens if you attempt to power off the
hardware for the H300 while on charge? Does it just ignore the request
or does it power straight back up again?

>> wonder why Rockbox doesn't drop the user into the charging
>> screen when the user requests a power down instead of leaving
>> them in the browser/WPS.
> This is by design. There is no difference in letting it charge
> in a special charging screen and letting it charge in the
> browser. So why bother having a special charging screen?
I guess I thought it might consume less power when unnecessary hardware
like the audio chips, etc. was powered down. I guess this is pretty
minimal though and not worth being concerned about.

As a matter of curiosity, what was the problem with having the H300 boot
straight into Rockbox when the charger is connected?
I guess it has to spin up the hard drive to boot Rockbox, so there'd
have to be some sort of charging screen in the bootloader, but I get the
impression that there were other reasons that this didn't work.

Jamie

--
James Teh
Email: jamie@jantrid.net