Subject: Recorder V2 troubleshooting help needed

Recorder V2 troubleshooting help needed

From: Tom Marinello <>
Date: 2006-06-26

Hi all,

Longtime lurker - using Rockbox since version 2.2.

My V2 (running an April 20 daily build) took a fall the other day and
now when I press "On," the green LED comes on, the display LED backlight
comes on, but there's no Rockbox. No text in the display, no red drive
light, and if I release the "On" key, it shuts down. There are drive
sounds - I can hear it spin up, but that's it. Connecting a USB cable
has the same result.

Not sure where to start troubleshooting. Does this sound like a drive
problem or electronics? Should I unsolder the drive and test it in my PC
or is it dead electronics? Fry's has a Toshiba 60MB and a Fujitsu 100MB
(both 8mb/5400 RPM drives) in their weekend ad, if this is a drive
problem - and advice for or against either of those?

Can anyone provide logical troubleshooting advise, or point me to a
thread in the archives? I'm willing to spend a little time and money,
but this may be the time to upgrade.