Subject: Re: charging questions

Re: charging questions

From: Jens Arnold <arnold-j_at_t-online.de>
Date: 2006-06-27

On 26.06.2006, James Teh wrote:

> Tom Cole wrote:
>> The main purpose of the charging screen in the Archos
>> machines is to show that the unit is running in a reduced
>> power consumption state. i.e. the hard drive is not powered
>> up. This is to allow flat batteries to be charged up by
>> simply plugging in the charger. Pressing "On" from this state

h, right, almost forgot about that. However, this is *only* true
for the recorder v1. The player and the recorder fm/v2 have
hardware controlled charging and should charge even if the
firmware isn't functional.

>> will start the Archos normally and allow it to browse and
>> play music, etc.
> Would this not apply to the Iriver H300 as well once the
> bootloader is patched? I have heard of instances of the unit
> not being able to boot due to a very flat battery, although in
> the H300 case, the charging is done in hardware so it's only
> cosmetic.

Yes, see above.

Now that got reminded about the real purpose of the charging
screen, I tend to think that it's a good thing, *but*: if we
don't want to break car adapter mode (a very useful feature for
a number of usere), then we can only have a charging screen on
units where we have a means to store some settings elsewhere
than on the harddrive. We need to check for the car adapter mode
setting before powering on the harddisk.

Regards, Jens