Subject: Hiding an iPod from XPlay/iTunes

Hiding an iPod from XPlay/iTunes

From: Mark <discardedswimwear_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 13:49:02 +0100

I'm having a problem using Windows Media Player to sync MP3 files to my iPod
Nano which is running Rockbox.

I have XPlay isntalled on my PC because I use it with an iPod Shuffle.
As a result of this, when I sync files using WMP to the Nano, WMP and/or
XPlay see the Nano as a "real" iPod and as such copy the files to the
ipod_control/music/f.. folder.
This still happens when I have the "Convert files when syncing" option
unchecked in the WMP device sync options.
This is obviously because XPlay and WMP see the nano as an "Apple" iPod
still.
My question is, what do I need to remove from the Nano to stop it being seen
as an iPod and instead simply being seen as a generic USB drive?

I realise that with the "Convert" option unchecked the files are copied as
straight MP3 files and that Rockbox will play them, but my issue is really
that the directory structure that they are placed in on the Nano is the old
Apple mess. If I move them on the Nano after the sync then they will not be
seen the next time I sync and they'll be copied over again.
it is not a huge problem but if there's a way to stop an iPod being seen as
an iPod then that'd help.

Thanks,

Mark