Subject: Re: Text version of the iAudio manual

Re: Text version of the iAudio manual

From: Dominik Riebeling <dominik.riebeling_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2006-07-13

On 7/13/06, Tim Culhane <tim.culhane@criticalpath.net> wrote:
> Are there any plans to produce a text version of the iAudio manual?

There are plans of producing a HTML version of all manuals -- the
manuals are all treated equally as they are generated from the same
LaTeX source. Unfortunately all tools I've tried for that have various
issues, so this needs some more work until it gets out. I even can't
tell you a planned date, it'll be avaliable when the problems are
solved.

> The current pdf document uses diagrams and graphics to represent the
> various buttons and controls on the player.

The only "diagram" is the "description" of the buttons at the
beginning of the manual, while all other screenshots are ...
screenshots ;-) So it would only require adding a section that
describes that button mappings in text or alternatively using ASCII
arts somewhere in the appendix (but I have no idea if this would be a
good solution for blind people -- please let me know). I already
thought about that, but as I'm pretty busy ATM I haven't found time to
look into it. Also, as the wiki is currently down I'm unable to add
this to the ManualTodo page.

> This is not accessible to blind users of the iAudio player.

The manual writers are aware of that. The same problem exists for all
other players. If you have some spare time and want to help out, feel
free to write a small section and submit it to the tracker
(preferrably as a patch to the LaTeX sources, but just having an
unformatted text as starting point will be helpful too)

Also, please be aware of the fact that the iaudio isn't a release
target for 3.0 and therefore the iaudio parts of the manual are of
lower priority up to now.

 - Dominik