Subject: RE: Rockbox Manual (was Re: Turning off a song while playing on iAudiosx5)

RE: Rockbox Manual (was Re: Turning off a song while playing on iAudiosx5)

From: Tim Culhane <tim.culhane_at_criticalpath.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 09:11:10 +0100

Hi,

I think the real problem with regards the pdf manual is the way in which
the pdf is generated. As I understand it the pdf is generated using latX,
and as a result, the accessibility of the pdf document is very poor when
read using a screen reader.

For example, I have pasted below the text which is produced when I read
page 21 of the manual:

rockbox-iAudio-manual.pdf
CHAPTER3. THEMAINMENU
21
3.2.
Navigating the Main Menu
Key Action
Moves up in the menu.
Inside a setting, increases the value or chooses
next option
Moves down in the menu.
Insidea setting, decreases the value or chooses
previous option
Selects option
Exits menu, setting or moves to parent menu
3.3.
Recent Bookmarks

Figure 3.2.: The list bookmarks screen
Up
Down
Select/ Right
Left
IftheSAVEALISTOFRECENTLYCREATEDBOOKMARKS optionis enabledthenyoucan
viewalistofseveralrecent bookmarkshereand selectonetojump straighttothat
track.
See page
40
for more details on configuring bookmarking in Rockbox.
Note: This option is offby default.
3.4.
Sound Settings
TheSOUND SETTINGS menuoffersa selectionof soundpropertiesyoumay change
to customize your listening experience. The details of this menu are covered
in detail
starting on page
27.
3.5.
General Settings
The GENERAL SETTINGS menu allows you to customize the way Rockbox looks and

As you can see, the structure of the document seems mixed up. Also, words
runtogether without spaces between them.

I'm not an expert on the best way of generating accessible pdf, but it is
possible (though by way of latX I'm not sure). Firstly the pdf needs to
be structured. The manual as it currently stands uses unstructured pdf.

More information on how to produce more accessible pdf can be found at
adobe.com.

Hope this helps, and If anybody wants more help on this I'll be happy to
oblige.

However, until the html version of the manual comes on stream I think that
a fully accessible manual is some way off.

Cheers,

Tim