Subject: Re: IO device error with ipod

Re: IO device error with ipod

From: Matthew Caron <matt_at_mattcaron.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 18:44:22 -0400

This is a bit of a circular logic, but it might help you isolate the
fault. It assumes your XP install is using NTFS

(1) Grab a recent linux LiveCD, preferably one that reads NTFS.
Something like http://www.knoppix.org/ might work.
(2) Boot it
(3) Try to copy files from your XP partition to the iPod.
(4) See what happens.

Possible conclusions:

- If it works, then it's Windows.
- If it doesn't work, then it could be your USB controller or the iPod
firmware.

You could also try a separate USB controller, if you have one.

Also, is the iPod connected directly or via a hub? Back in my firmware
days, I found a great deal in variation as to how well hubs worked. Most
of the chips on motherboards seem to work fine, so plugging it directly
into the computer usually solved most issues.

Which brings up a question for the rockbox folks: What's the deal with
USB on iPods? Is all you need is for someone to write a mass storage
device driver for it? If so, maybe I could help. I'm getting married
this weekend, but after I come back from my honeymoon, my schedule is
pretty free.

Rob Powell wrote:
> Hi all, I really could use some help with this one, as I'm a bit stuck.
>
> I'm running XP, and have my Ipod connected to a USB port. I've used the
> same port for an Archos player and so on before with no problems. I'm
> copying music to my ipod, and some of the time, I get "unable to perform
> request because of an IO device error". It's not predictable, in that
> sometimes it'll copy about 10 albums before it crashes, sometimes 1
> track. the files that it crashes on can usually be copied individually.
>
> I've tried both copy and paste and send to, I use my computer rather
> than windows explorer (only from habit), I just wondered if anyone had
> any bright ideas?
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Rob

PGP Key: http://www.mattcaron.net/pgp_key.txt