Subject: Re: Rockbox Manual

Re: Rockbox Manual

From: Nix <>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 02:04:05 +0100

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006, Dominik Riebeling announced authoritatively:
> actual conversion to html) while latex for some unknown reason
> generates a pdf file (which is usually generated by pdflatex). The

That's because as of teTeX 3.0, `latex' *is* pdftex (well, really it's
pdfelatex, the e-TeX version of pdftex).

Your problem is that your definition of \ifpdf in preamble.tex is
relying on \pdfoutput being undefined whenever PDF is not being
generated; but now that PDF-eTeX running in DVI-generation mode is doing
the work, \pdfoutput is *always* defined.

The correct fix is to \usepackage{ifpdf} and rely on it to define
\ifpdf. (Well, you could extract the \ifpdf definition from that;
it's got an extra else branch in it, effectively. But there's little
point: any LaTeX new enough to have this problem will also have

> I assume pdfetex (which is
> actually called by latex) detects some pdf specials and switches to
> pdf mode.

Yes, and it does that because your \ifpdf is misfiring.

`We're sysadmins. We deal with the inconceivable so often I can clearly
 see the need to define levels of inconceivability.' --- Rik Steenwinkel