Subject: Re: podcast synchronization script

Re: podcast synchronization script

From: Matthew Caron <matt_at_mattcaron.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 12:47:16 -0400

> I think that in a perfect world, the aggregator would deal with this.

I disagree. It's not the job of a podcast aggregator to do anything
other than aggregate podcasts and dump them into some directory.
Anything else violates core tenets of Unix design about lots of very
small tools each doing something well.

Now, if what you're looking for is a "podcast swiss army knife" or
"super fancy music tool suite", then you're right - but that is not a
podcast aggregator.

> It looks like your script would be pretty useful, but I use Windows
> still and it looks like your script would require major surgery to get
> it to run under XP.

Meh.

(1) Install activeperl

http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/?mp=1

(2) Type "perl sync_podcast" or similar. You can change the paths to be
whatever you want (you would have to do this anyway). It should handle
stupidly named paths (C:\whatever\whatever) just fine.

(3) If you want to be able to click on the script to run it, change it
to have a .pl file extension (stupid extension-based file loaders. Use
the magic number, dammit!)

> The feature that I covet is the recursive directory
> function...I still don't have a good way of doing this. I'll have to
> google around and see what I get.

There isn't a VB module to do this? Also, ever consider using C#/.NET?
That would mean your stuff could run under Linux and OSX via C#/Mono as
well (plus, it's a much better language than VB).

> Thanks for GPL'ing it :-)

Eventually, it will make it up to my website.

http://www.mattcaron.net/linux/scripts.php

PGP Key: http://www.mattcaron.net/pgp_key.txt
 ~~ Matt Caron ~~