Subject: recording codecs and FM recording

recording codecs and FM recording

From: James Teh <jamie_at_jantrid.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 09:27:48 +1000

Hi all,
Just tried out the new recording codecs and FM recording yesterday. Very
nice! Thank you very much for this. :)

Two issues I discovered in my testing (I was going to report them before
the patch was committed, but was a bit slow):
* The quality of the monitoring appears to be somewhat lower than the
quality of the input signal for FM radio, as if the monitoring was being
heard at a lower sampling rate. To demonstrate, enable the FM radio from
the main menu, exit to the menus without stopping the radio, set the
recording source to FM radio and then enter the recording screen. On my
Iriver H340, I hear a drop in quality. This isn't a huge problem,
though, as the recorded signal sounds fine. This applies even if the wav
codec is used. This may apply to other sources as well, but it is much
harder to test this.
* With this patch, voice no longer works when the recording settings
menu is entered from the recording screen; i.e. pressing menu (Mode on
H300) from the recording screen. This is true even if the wav codec is
used. This was fixed a few months ago, but has regressed with this
patch. When this worked, the monitoring appeared to be temporarily
disabled while in this menu and returned upon exiting the menu. Is there
any chance of a fix for this? It isn't critical if it isn't possible, as
the Recording Settings menu can be accessed from outside of the
recording screen, but it would certainly be nice to have this functionality.

Thanks once again.

Jamie

--
James Teh